My main website is Smart Moms Saving Money

This is my last hope to live without pain every second of the day. Please pray for me, I need all prayers I can get. My main website is at Smart Moms Saving Money

Welcome, Read About My Back Surgeries Below.

My name is Laura, and I am 42 years old. I seriously injured my back at age 15, but didn't have major back surgery until 2004. Mostly the reason I waited so long was, due to fear and not trusting the doctors I had. Once I met Dr. Steck I knew right away, I had found THE Doctor that could not only handle this complicated surgery, but someone I trusted completely.
Read on and I'll try and explain my surgery and document my newest surgery too.

Friday, March 5, 2010

What Has Happened Since Having The Spinal Chord Stimulator Put In

How My Surgery Went
I went to surgery Monday Feb 1ST 2010

Before going to surgery they gave me a epidural, which I have to be honest I did not know before hand I was going to have to have.  I did a lot of homework before hand and it's strange I did not know a few things.  First that I would have the epidural which I was worried about because both times I had it before I got so sick and was throwing up even in the surgery room.  I talked to the anesthesiologist and let him know my problem.  He informed me it wasn't the type that you have when you have a c-section and that he would keep an eye on me and not let me get sick.  He kept his promise because I didn't get sick, thank God!  
I did have an awkward moment though, which was the Second thing I didn't know was going to happen.  After I was given my epidural the anesthesiologist  stayed close by and started sticking me asking are you numb here are you numb there which I was use to.  Except, he started feeling and sticking around my breast and I was thinking what the hell? I am having lower back surgery, why the hell is this guy sticking my breast with a pin? He did it twice and then the third time I was like what are you doing? He said, I have to make sure your numb in your rib cage.  I asked why since I was have surgery on my lower back, he was like well the doctor has to cut the muscles right under your rib cage to put the leads in so, that was a huge surprise.  If you look at the picture you'll see I have the two incision.  
The incision at the top hurt about 70% more then the bottom one for sure.   They came and turned on the SCS "Spinal Chord Stimulator" at about 2PM She had to set it and show me how to work it.  I only got 1 setting and was told to come back in to see the doctor in a week.  I would be given more settings at that meeting.  I was also told to bring in the huge shopping bag of crap they gave me when I left the hospital. Yeah, that's a little surprise after the surgery they give you this huge bag of crap.  It's the charger, the machine to turn on the SCS and a 1lb magnet to turn it off in a hurry.  


When I got released it was like 8:30PM I was getting scared that I had to stay over night.  They made me take a cat scan to make sure everything was good, before I could leave.  I HATE staying in the hospital so I was really starting to get worried.  I had a few things I want to write about the hospital that I didn't care for, but I'll save that until later.
Riding home was very uncomfortable, I recommend you bring a thin pillow to put behind your back and also if your female bring a loose bra, light sports bra or a extension to add to your bra.  The reason is right where they put the incision at the top of your back seems to be right under your bra strap.  
On your first day leaving you'll have the bandage and the brace your suppose to wear for at least 1 week.  Which is another problem the top of the brace seems to sit right on top of my incision at least on me it did. I don't see why they can't shorten it.  I did talk to him about it and he said he would look into it to change that.


I am having a problem staying awake right now I don't know what is going on except I think I am very low on Iron again.  I am always low and since I just had to surgeries I think maybe that made it worse?  They took 3 things of blood before each so that's all I can think of anyway I don't know for sure.  All I know is I sat here to work on this at 10pm last night ended up sitting here all night long and it is 12:30PM the next day and this is all I got done.  I wake up write a sentence or two and then fall back a sleep. The doctors can only tell me I need to just rest, that from never sleeping before I am just worn down.  I don't know it just seems really odd.  I just hope this part gets better because it's a serious problem.  
My back is feeling a lot better right now and I will try and up date this again soon.  I got to get up and move around take a shower and such.  
I'll be back soon.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment